This is a difficult time of not only dealing with a pandemic, but also the racial injustice in our country. It is important to start and continue conversations with our children. This resource page is to support you as parents. We will be adding things to it in the coming weeks and hope you find it helpful.
A beautiful prayer that Episcopalians United Against Racism uses. I find it helpful to pray on my own as well as with children and youth: Gathering Prayer.
Resources for Parents about Mental Health, Coronavirus, and Anti-racism
- General Resources and Mental Health Tips for Parents: https://www.childtrends.org/publications/resources-for-supporting-childrens-emotional-well-being-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
- Dealing with Grief: https://discoveries.childrenshospital.org/grief-coronavirus/
- Helping Children Deal with Frightening News: https://childmind.org/article/helping-children-cope-frightening-news/
- Talking to Children about Racial Bias: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/healthy-living/emotional-wellness/Building-Resilience/Pages/Talking-to-Children-About-Racial-Bias.aspx
- Talking to Kids about Racial Violence: https://centerracialjustice.org/resources/resources-for-talking-about-race-racism-and-racialized-violence-with-kids/
- Talking to Children 2-5 about Loving Everyone: https://www.zerotothree.org/resources/1598-racism-and-violence-using-your-power-as-a-parentto-support-children-aged-two-to-five
- Podcast with Jennifer Harvey, author of “Raising White Kids: Bringing up Children in a Racially Unjust America”: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/raising-white-kids-with-jennifer-harvey/id1440625690?i=1000475304185